4. FEG Trainer Training Course - 7 full days (48,5 hours)
Part One: Attendance of Trainer Training Course:
The course constitutes “Part 1” according to the FEG criteria and the programme director with the Training Consultative Group (TCG) Convenor undertake to be the points of contact for graduates of the course wishing to proceed to “Part 2” below and thereby ultimately gain FEG trainer accreditation. Ideally, this course runs alongside or after a FEG Sharing Best Practise course or a CEN standard EN 15565:2008 compliant tourist guide training course. Course participants will gain an understanding of the ethos behind tourist guiding, and be able:
- to develop a consistent approach to the delivery and assessment of tourist guide training
- to encourage and develop best practice in trainee tourist guides, so that they will be able to guide on a moving vehicle, on site, and on walking tours.
- to monitor their own guiding skills and techniques so that they can confidently demonstrate tasks and set good examples for trainee tourist guides.
There will be a degree of continuous assessment throughout the course. Assessment of knowledge will be by means of the final written examination.
The programme is specifically designed to offer experienced tourist guides the opportunity to meet the criteria for accreditation as a FEG trainer.
The following elements will be covered:
- understanding assessment criteria and programme content for training programmes
- training the different practical guiding skills and the varying requirements for guiding in different situations: a museum/art gallery, religious building, on foot and on a moving vehicle
- leading/facilitating the Art of Guiding Seminar
- an introduction to adult learning, psychology, tutor/student rapport, and the development of training skills for motivated adults.
Part Two: Training Practice, Portfolio of Training Development, final viva:
For those, who have passed Part 1.
Submit a Portfolio, which is a compilation of materials that provide evidence of teaching and training experience, and that the student trainer has attained the learning outcomes detailed above. FEG will provide written guidelines for portfolio compilation and an assessor. The portfolio assessor will be joined by a second FEG assessor to conduct the viva.
Successful candidates for Part 2 will be awarded a FEG trainer certificate.